The surgical services include minimal access surgery and specialized complex GI surgical procedures for the management of diseases of various parts of the GI tract.
The Department of General Surgery offers following services :
- Esophageal diseases including achalasia, hiatus hernia and strictures.
- Diseases of the liver and biliary tract, including liver cysts, abscesses, portal hypertension, gallstones, cholecystitis and postcholecystectomy complications, cholangitis, Biliary tract strictures, choledochal cysts, all forms of surgical jaundice and hepatobiliary cancers.
- Complications of diseases of the pancreas including pancreatic necrosis, pancreatic fistulas, pseudocysts, sphinctero plasty, surgery for chronic pancreatitis.
- Diseases of the stomach and ailmentry canal including ulcers, bleeds, tuberculosis, intestinal obstruction, fecal fistulas, sphincter-preserving surgery for ulcerative colitis.
- Modern management of cancers such as R-2 resections for stomach cancer, sphincter preserving surgery for rectal cancer, surgery for esophageal, colonic, hepatobiliary and pancreatic cancers.
- A special focus area of the unit is surgery in patients with cirrhosis and portal hypertension. At the popular center for liver and Digestive Diseases these surgeries are being routinely done.